Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Healing my Gut

Warning:  If you don't like reading about guts and stuff, please "x" out of this page!



I am taking a course through a friend of mine who happens to be a naturopath-in-training.  She is not only very easy to talk to, but she is also very, very knowledgeable about herbs and holistic healing.  This program has been very eye-opening to me.  For one, I've learned that if you're not eliminating at least 2-3 times a day, you are what is considered as constipated.  Of course, I am a part of that group, and this indicates that I have some healing to do when it comes to my gut.  Constipation can be caused by a number of things, but the two most likely cases for Americans is blockages and an overly twisted colon.  Blockages can be caused by all sorts of things:  not enough fiber in the diet, too much fiber coupled with not enough water intake, mucus and scars covering up inflamed areas, etc. The overly twisted colon is caused from blockages "re-routing" the waste.  It is important to be eliminating regularly, because if the waste continues to sit in your colon, all of the toxins that were removed from the food you ate will be reabsorbed through the intestinal lining and not only will potentially make you sick, but also will probably weaken the permeability of the wall, thus letting more and more toxins into your bloodstream later on. 

So.

I have these problems.  My gut is inflamed.  I have blockages.  There is only one thing to do:  HEAL! 

Along with adding more leafy green vegetables into my diet for the fiber and nutrition that they provide,  I am also taking a bowel rejuvenator formula for "[normalizing] bowel function, whether the problem is constipation or diarrhea, which is an indication of more advanced constipation". (Sharan, 1996)

The herbs in this formula are as follows:
Cascara Sagrada - laxative, antispasmodic, antibacterial, liver stimulant, bitter tonic.
Ginger root - analgesic, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antiemetic, antispasmodic, stimulant, digestive.
Golden seal - antibiotic, antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal, tonic, astringent, diuretic, laxative, bitter.
Slippery Elm - anti-inflammatory, mucilaginous, diuretic, expectorant, astringent, nutrient
Turkey Rhubarb - astringent, antimicrobial, antibacterial, antibiotic, antiviral, anti-inflammatory, tonic.

All of these amazing herbs work together to improve, tone, and make your gut healthy again.  They are different from taking prescription drugs or OTC drugs to relieve constipation, because they actually work to heal, not just eliminate the problem for a short time.

Here's to healing!

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love this post! I had no idea my body was so unhealthy! I can go days without "eliminating"!!! I will be getting a hold of these herbs A.S.A.P.

Thank you for sharing and good luck!

Tiffany said...

Steph, I will have all of the herbs to make the formula by tomorrow. I did a huge order through Mountain Rose Herbs, and I will have plenty if you'd like me to make the formula for you.

Stephanie said...

I would love that very much!!! I don't get a notification when you write back on here, so I apologize for not getting back to you until now.

Tiffany said...

That's all right! Let's get together and we'll talk about it. :)

Post a Comment