Tuesday, December 20, 2011

thoughts on a grain mill

Merry-nearly-Christmas! 

There isn't any snow here, and it is truly hard to get into the holiday spirit without it. As I walked the dog this morning, I was secretly cursing the sky for not producing the white stuff.  That's when I realized that I will make it and live to see another day if it doesn't snow.  I know, hard stuff to think about. ;)

Anyway, Michael and I are considering the purchase of a grain mill as a holiday gift to ourselves.  There is so much to think about when it comes to the purchase:  price, appearance, quality of materials, etc.  We are looking at the Komo Fidibus Classic, which seems to be a nice, high quality mill.  Not to mention that it will match my German knives (oh geez...).  Having a grain mill (or some other appliance that will turn your grains into flour) is a must-have when it comes to cooking traditional foods, since flours you purchase from the store are typically not sprouted, soaked, or fermented.  The only way that grains become truly "digestible" is if they're soaked and sprouted, or best of all, fermented.  From there you can dry the grains accordingly and then run them through your mill to create a lovely, easily digested flour to bake with.  Dr. Weston Price found that the healthiest cultures around the world sprouted or fermented all of their grain before it was used.  Sounds like those cultures have it right, since we Americans suffer from all sorts of gastrointestinal disorders due to eating improperly prepared grains.

So you see now why the purchase of a grain mill is important.  Now I just need to do a little more research and bite the bullet.  I am guessing that it will definitely be a very, very useful purchase! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment